Novi Personal Trainers | Michigan Strength Coaches
DAVID LAWRENCE, Head Strength Coach
David is one of the premier and most widely recognized strength and conditioning coaches in the United States. He has personally trained literally hundreds of professional athletes in over 20 sports, including Nick Bellore of the Detroit Lions, Aaron Palushaj of the Philadelphia Flyers, and Super Bowl Champions Frank Zombo of the Kansas City Chiefs and Haloti Ngata of the Philadelphia Eagles. David’s passion and hands-on coaching ensures results, David sets the bar and brings that drive to the team at MECA, the premiere personal training and sports performance facility in Michigan.
- Founder of Michigan Elite Conditioning for Athletes (MECA)
- Former Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Concordia University Ann Arbor
- National Team Conditioning Coach, Guyana Women’s National Football Team
RACHEL JOHNSTON, Assistant Strength Coach
Rachel’s personal experience with how strength training can help overcome injuries was her primary motivation to pursue strength training as a career. After graduating in 2016 with a Bachelor of Science in Biology with an emphasis in Exercise Science from Concordia University, Rachel became an intern at MECA until she became a permanent and valued part of the staff.
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT)
- Preparing for Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) certification
- Working toward Poliquin® International Certification Program (PICPTM) Levels 1 & 2
JARED MYERS, Assistant Strength Coach
Because he has experienced both sedentary and active periods in his life, including track, football, baseball, and boxing, Jared can relate to a wide range of clientele. He can make a workout challenging and fun at the same time, which is helpful for those clients who may approach working with a personal trainer with some apprehension because of weight or other matters. Jared’s goal is to encourage clients toward a healthy lifestyle, beginning from where they are right now.
- Assistant Strength Coach at MECA
- Certified Poliquin Level I Personal Trainer
- Holds a Bachelor of Science in Sports Performance and Fitness Entrepreneurship
DONOVAN KLEM, Assistant Strength Coach
Although he enjoyed a variety of sports in high school. Donovan focused on football while attending Concordia University. Today, Donovan enjoys working alongside MECA founder David Lawrence as an Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for his alma mater in addition to serving as an Assistant Strength Coach at MECA. Donovan also enjoys working with many non-athletes who want to improve health and lose weight to enhance their overall well-being.
- Assistant Strength Coach at Concordia University, Ann Arbor
- Assistant Strength Coach at MECA
- Olympic level competitive weight lifter
- Holds a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and Exercise Science
ANNA ZITTEL, Assistant Strength Coach
Anna is the newest addition to MECA’s growing team. Anna previously ran her own Barbell Club and was a personal trainer before deciding to join the team at MECA. After going through a tough time in her life, Anna found strength and a new passion in weight lifting and physical fitness and it shows in her training. She always brings the energy up in any setting and will always put a smile on your face. She loves getting the most out of her clients and sharing her passion with them. Anna has a tremendous ability to help client’s breakthrough mental and physical barriers, achieving their goals. There’s never a dull moment when you’re working with Anna, she’s your biggest fan and is very excited for your success!
- Crossfit level 2 Certified
- Crossfit kids Certified
- Sports Performance Certified
LIZ KUMKE, Strength Trainer
As one of 12 children in her family, Liz knows all about teamwork and competition. However, it was only after initially pursuing a degree in business that she discovered a passion for fitness and strength training. Athletes, those recovering from an injury, or clients seeking weight loss and better health, all MECA clients receive a personalized training program tailored to fit their unique needs. That personalization is what impressed Liz as an intern, and cinched her decision to pursue a career as a personal trainer.
- Strength Trainer at MECA
- Served as a MECA intern
- Holds a Bachelor of Science in Sports Performance
- Experienced basketball and volleyball coach
MATT SOBECK, Assistant Strength Coach and CFO
Matt has known MECA founder David Lawrence most of his life, growing up with him in Kalamazoo, Michigan. While Matt earned a degree in Accounting, it wasn’t until after college would he find his passion in training. Matt truly enjoys making a difference in his client’s life, likely that’s why Matt’s clients continue to train with him month after month and year after year. Matt is detail oriented and is always making sure that his clients are getting the most out of each rep in each set.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy with a Minor in General Business.
- Poliquin program design certified
- MECA trainer since 2015